Sunday, September 25, 2011

First (Real) Solo Ride

Went on my first real solo ride last weekend.  I know it's silly that I've been riding for a year and haven't been out by myself yet (beyond one 4-mile jaunt last spring), but that's what happens when your spouse is into cycling, I suppose.  Anyway, this past weekend Mr. Lady Roadie had a century on Saturday, and was not at all into the idea of spending any more time on his bike on Sunday, so I went out alone.

It was no big thing -- I took a well-traveled path to the road that is blocked off to cars, did 16 miles out and back.  I was afraid I'd get bored or unmotivated alone, but that wasn't the case at all.  It did help that there were lots of cyclists on the route for me to focus on and pick off one by one (or get passed by!).  I did pass two men up hills which I got a kick out of, although I've realized that Beach Drive is the reason I'm under the false assumption that I'm a decent climber.  Noobs abound on that road since it's blocked off to cars on weekend, and a lot of fit men can keep up with me on the flats before showing their true noobishness at the first sight of a hill.  So, while I guess this means I'm not actually a good climber, it also means that I'm not a noob! 

It turned out I was a bit more motivated without Mr. Lady Roadie, to my surprise.  On the way home I tackled a hill he's been bragging about, and while it wasn't pretty, I did make it up.  I don't think the extra motivation and lack of boredom would last on a longer ride, and if I got into a complicated traffic situation I'd be missing the company of a more experienced rider, but it's nice to know I can do 20 miles in this area on my own just fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment